| Vacancy No: CALL/P/2012/10 |
Title: ILO Country Office Director, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
|Date: 23 October 2012 |
Application Deadline (midnight Geneva time) 22 November 2012 Vacancy Filled
Organization unit: CO-DHAKA
Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
|The ILO invites interested parties to submit their expression of interest for the following vacancy: |
- ILO Country Office Director, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The following are eligible to apply:
- Internal applicants in accordance with paragraphs 15 and 16 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External applicants.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and aims at achieving gender parity. We welcome applications from qualified women and men, including those with disabilities.
Within the context of the ILO's efforts to promote staff mobility, applicants should expect to take up different assignments (field and Headquarters) during their career.
Direct selection by the ILO Director-General shall be the method to fill this position.
Conditions of employment are described in Appendix II.
| INTRODUCTION |
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is the UN agency that brings together governments, employers and workers of its member states in common action to promote decent work throughout the world. The ILO is devoted to advancing opportunities for women and men to obtain decent and productive work in conditions of freedom, equity, security and human dignity. Its main aims are to promote rights at work, encourage decent employment opportunities, enhance social protection and strengthen dialogue in handling work-related issues. The ILO has played a central role in responding to the current global economic and jobs crisis and is involved in major multilateral initiatives to confront the crisis and its impact in the world of work.
The position is located in the ILO Country Office for Bangladesh (CO-Dhaka) in Dhaka. The Co-Dhaka Director is the ILO representative in Bangladesh and as such is responsible for maintaining the image and reputation of the ILO in the country and for observing the highest standards of professional competence and personal behaviour in accordance with the Organization's values and objectives. The position serves as programme manager of ILO activities in the country, ensuring that ILO tripartite constituents are provided with high-quality, timely, well-coordinated and integrated services responsive to their needs and tailored to their realities. The CO-Dhaka Director reports directly to the Regional Director and is responsible for keeping the Regional Director informed of significant political, policy, technical and managerial developments within the country office and the countries covered. The incumbent will work in close cooperation with the Decent Work Technical Support Teams in the region as well as technical units at headquarters, if required.
| Description of Duties |
1. Manage country activities so that visible, measurable results are achieved within the framework of Decent Work Country Programmes, consistent with the Strategic Policy Framework and approved programme and budget and aligned with the respective UNDAF, with support as necessary from the respective DWTs and technical units at headquarters.
2. Direct the work of her/his office, ensuring that the staff under her/his supervision, including technical cooperation staff and national coordinators, optimize the use of resources for the achievement of results and that they are held accountable for their performance.
3. Ensure that key risks are identified, assessed and managed to contribute to the achievement of agreed results and that risk management is embedded in all core processes and functions.
4. Coordinate the day-to-day response to the safety and security of ILO staff under their supervision including technical cooperation staff and national coordinators, and work with the UN Security Management Team at the respective duty stations to ensure that all staff participate in security training exercises, and comply with applicable security policies and instructions.
5. Mobilize and distribute resources to meet country priorities; direct and facilitate programme implementation in keeping with stated outcomes, indicators, targets and quality standards.
6. Monitor and report on programme implementation and resource use against stated outcomes, indicators, targets and quality standards, and cooperate in the completion of ILO evaluations.
7. Build and maintain strong relations with ILO constituents to assess and respond to their needs, while promoting ILO principles, policies and objectives.
8. Ensure the effective management and efficient use of all financial, human and other resources allocated to their country offices in keeping with ILO regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
9. Assume primary responsibility for the delivery of technical cooperation in the country/countries covered by their country offices including the supervision of technical cooperation project staff and ensure the provision of adequate administrative backstopping.
10. Promote and facilitate, in collaboration with project managers , a harmonious working environment in which all staff can discharge their professional responsibilities in an efficient and effective way and are treated with respect, dignity and courtesy.
11. Serve as an integral part of United Nations Country Teams under the leadership of United Nations Resident Coordinators, building and maintaining strategic partnerships with the United Nations and multilateral system to promote and facilitate the mainstreaming of the Decent Work Agenda into UNDAFs or other development frameworks.
12. Foster positive relationships and enhance synergies with decision-makers and the wider public to raise the visibility of the ILO and the Decent Work Agenda and to have the Decent Work Agenda reflected in national, regional and multilateral policies.
13. Support representation and partnerships with constituents and partners, including through conferences/meetings to advocate for, and defend, ILO values in policy dialogues at all levels, thus influencing the policy process and increasing policy coherence.
14. Enhance donor support and the mobilization of resources in cooperation with the Partnerships and Development Cooperation Department, including through public-private partnership agreements.
| Education |
Advanced University Degree in law, economics, political or social science or other relevant area.
| Experience |
At least ten years of relevant experience in the formulation, management and implementation of development programmes activities, as well as with labour and social policies, including at least five years at the international level, preferably in the United Nations System. Demonstrated managerial experience in leading teams in the relevant area of work. Work experience within the Asia Region would be an advantage.
| Languages |
Excellent command of English and a good knowledge of another ILO working language.
| Competencies |
In addition to the ILO core competencies at managerial level, the successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
Excellent knowledge of the Organization's administrative and financial procedures, practices and rules. Excellent knowledge of the countries covered by the office and UN system and its specialized agencies. Sound knowledge of the broad range of technical subject areas dealt with by the Organization. Good knowledge of the Organization's policies, programmes and procedures. Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to represent the Organization and deliver messages effectively to a broad range of audiences. Ability to promote ILO's mission and programmes successfully. Ability to develop effective relationships with colleagues and team members and to foster an environment for collaboration and cooperation between teams. Ability to guide and motivate staff towards meeting challenges and achieving objectives, Ability to plan, mobilize and manage resources effectively. Ability to build and enhance internal and external partnerships and to promote synergies. Demonstrated and recognized diplomatic, technical, management and administrative leadership skills in carrying out the objectives and policies of the Organization. The ability to work in a multicultural environment and gender-sensitive behaviour and attitudes are also required.
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR WRITTEN TEST.|
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.|
|APPENDIX II CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT|
| - Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination. |
- The first contract will be issued for a twelve-month period (for Geneva-based positions) and a twenty-four month period (for non-Geneva based positions).
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
Please note that the above salary levels are determined according to the criteria established by the International Civil Service Commission. The ILO is international public sector employer and salary and other employment conditions are not negotiable.
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment:
Recruitment is normally made at the initial step in the grade.
Salaries and emoluments are exempt from taxation by the Swiss authorities and, on the basis of international agreements or national law relating to presence or residence abroad, are generally exempt from taxation by other governments. In the absence of exemption, in most cases tax paid will be reimbursed in accordance with an ILO document which will be supplied upon request.
While the successful candidate will be initially working in Geneva Dhaka, he/she may be assigned to any duty station designated by the Director-General of the ILO.
|Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. |
To apply, please visit ILO's e-Recruitment website at: erecruit.ilo.org. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
|The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants. |
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
This vacancy is shown for viewing only. It is not currently open for applications
Currently there is no vacancy available. Please visit our web site again soon.
To view FAO Global Vacancies
National Consultant - Monitoring and Reporting
The incumbent should have a university degree in environmental science, agriculture or economics or agriculture statistics
19 April 2017
National Consultant (Entry Level) - Remote sensing and GIS
Degree in geography, environmental science, agronomy, geo-informatics or a closely related field
19 April 2017
National Consultant Data Management System, Integration and Documentation
University degree in IT, programming and informatics
19 April 2017
National Communications Consultant
University degree in journalism, communication, public relations or related discipline; A minimum of seven years of experience
30 April 2017
Click here to download: Personal History Form (PHF)
Should you wish to apply for a vacancy when one is open, please complete the Personal Profile Form (PPF). In order to prepare a PPF, you must first register on the FAO iRecruitment site.
Important notes: As you fill in your information online you should make sure to click Save after each section before logging out. Also be aware that the session times out after 20 minutes of inactivity.
Local Vendor Registration: The completed application form shall reflect the name of the interested category. If a Company is specialized in several categories, the complete application form for each category shall be submitted separately. Only technically qualified companies will be included into the vendor roster of FAO in Bangladesh and invited to participate in the possible subsequent contracting exercise. Nothing in this document shall be considered/expected to form a binding legal contract.
Please mail the completed and signed Registration Form to FAO Representation in Bangladesh at the following address: House # 37, Road # 8, Dhanmondi Residential Area, Dhaka-1205 or E-mail to: FAOBD-Tenders@FAO.ORG
Click to download Vendor Registration Form 2014
*** FAO General TCs Goods – April 2015
Closing Date: 16 April 2017, 12:00hrs.
This vacancy redirect is kept for archiving purposes only. Please note, that the redirect to the original site may not work any longer.
This vacancy is advertised by ILO
Duty Station: -
Level: ICS-12 Contract type: - (More info about Levels and Contracts)
Closing date: 2012-11-10
Do not contact the UN Job List with questions regarding specific vacancies. Thanks
Apply to this job on the ILO site now!
The vacancy is online since: 2012-10-10
Days online: 1657 Total views: 171
Level / Grade
|1||ILO||-||ICS-10||-||Technical officer on Sustainable Enterprises and Value Chain Development||2017-04-24||2017-04-05|
|2||ILO||-||ICS-09||-||Communications Officer, TRIANGLE in ASEAN||2017-04-25||2017-04-12|
|3||ILO||-||ICS-07||-||Asistente Superior de Finanzas||2017-04-26||2017-04-12|
|4||ILO||-||ICS-10||-||Field Safety and Security Officer||2017-05-21||2017-04-22|
Want even more jobs? Search the UN Job List!
Latest / Recent Nigerian Job Vacancies today 2016
Graduate Jobs and Internships (22 open right now!)
Vacancies – Sandwell College
qatar job vacancy latest presidential polls